What is Healthy Living?
To many, being healthy simply means a lack of illness along with being physically fit. But there's more to it than just physical well-being. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Health is a complete state of physical, mental, and social well-being. The actual definition of Healthy Living is the steps, actions and strategies one puts in place to achieve optimum health. It's about taking responsibility and making smart, healthy choices for today and for your future. Healthy eating habits, physical fitness, emotional wellness, spiritual wellness and prevention are all a part of a healthy lifestyle. Since Health and Healthy Living are all inclusive, meaning all aspects of an individual must work in harmony to achieve complete wellness, your lifestyle and choices need to balance each aspect equally.
- Physical Health requires good nutrition, beneficial exercise, adequate rest and proper stress management.
- Mental Health requires self-supportive attitudes, positive thinking and a positive self-image.
- Spiritual Health requires inner calmness, openness to your creativity, and trust in your inner knowing.
Ways We Promote Healthy Living
Here at the Boonslick Heartland YMCA, we understand the importance of Healthy Living, and we strive to provide programs and services that help our members and community develop and maintain healthy lifestyles. Navigate through the pages organized under this heading to see details and scheduling on each program and service we offer, or read below for a quick overview. You can also click the Schedules button under our Quick Links to view and download a current copy of our comprehensive Fitness Schedule.
- Wellness & Nutrition - knowing what to eat and how to exercise to get the best results for you can be hard, but don't worry, we're here to help: the BHYMCA offers complimentary Wellness Coaching, a Nutritional Consultant, and periodic educational courses and seminars to help you get all the information!
- Fitness Classes - sometimes walking on a treadmill or lifting weights just isn't enough: and it's not always the most fun either! That's why the BHYMCA offers several COMPLIMENTARY fitness classes to help improve your fitness routine.
- Fitness Challenges - exercising on your own isn't always fun, nor is it always easy to stay motivated. Some of us need a little external motivation from time to time and Fitness Challenges, both individual and group based, can help provide that, along with other benefits that normal classes can't always provide.
- Runs & Marathons - 5k/10k runs, half-marathons, marathons & triathlons can be amazing ways to challenge yourself, and preparing for them is a great way to get and stay in shape. Here at the BHYMCA we offer several 5k/10k runs throughout the year, a triathlon, and participate in a half-marathon, and even help provide you with the tools you need to participate in events other than our own.
- Adult Sports & Activities - kids aren't the only ones who can benefit from participating in sports: Basketball and Softball, two of the Adult Sports Leagues we offer, can be a great source of exercise and enjoyment.
- Family Events - Strong family bonds are a great way to help promote both mental and spiritual wellness, and the Boonslick Heartland YMCA periodically hosts Family Events that highlight this belief and help to strengthen the families of the community we depend on.